A Savior to the Gentiles: Isaiah 49:1-13


The Vision of Isaiah, by Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier (1815 – 1891)



Introduction

Isaiah’s four “Servant Songs,” chapters 42 through 53, are prophetic and give details about the character and purpose of the Messiah.

Isaiah’s prophecies of the Messiah have in view both the Messiah’s first advent to suffer and die as that perfect atonement and the Messiah’s second advent and future kingdom on earth. Isaiah, of course, did not know about two advents, and therefore some of his prophecies contain elements of both.

In our last study, we examined the first Servant Song in Isaiah 42, in which the Lord identified the Messiah as “My Servant,” who would demonstrate a quiet and patient demeanor, would bring truth, justice, and comfort to the weak and oppressed, would be a light to the Gentiles, and would open mankind’s eyes to the reality and grace of God.

The character and office of the Messiah were exhibited to us in general terms in Isaiah’s first Servant Song, chapter 42, in which he introduced the Messiah this way in v. 1:

“Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.”

That first Servant Song ended with the assurance that the Messiah was sure to come, because God had promised, and He always had kept His promises.

This second Servant Song is more difficult to outline, because the text intermingles the promises of the Messiah to both the people of Israel in the relatively near term, their exile and return in the two centuries immediately following Isaiah, and to the Messiah’s message of salvation to the Gentiles in his first advent, seven centuries after these prophecies.

Mixing the promises the way they are intermingled in this song is a literary device that emphasizes the role of the Messiah as the Savior, first for Israel, and then for all people.

I can imagine Isaiah in the temple court announcing his prophecies in this Servant Song to his listeners. I am not sure how his audience would have reacted…but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were puzzling looks and bewildered shaking of heads…an outright anger and rejection at his suggestion that the Messiah would have anything to do with Gentiles.

The Israelites expected a Messiah for themselves only, one who would rise up and defeat the oppressive nations around them…and then establish His rule, through the nation of Israel, over the entire world. But they did not buy into the idea of a Messiah who would offer salvation to all people, including the hated Gentiles. At Jesus’ first advent, 700 years in the future, this was still the attitude of the people of Israel; they hated the Gentiles.

In the judgment of the Jewish establishment in the time of Jesus’ first advent, He had failed to demonstrate He was the Messiah, because He did not eject the Roman occupiers from their land, and they resented His criticism of their hypocrisy, their legalism, their lack of devotion to God. And He associated with people the Jews deemed unclean.

Isaiah’s prophecies, and the Servant Songs, are right on the mark: The remnant or preserved ones of Israel will turn to Him, and still in our future today, the Messiah will, indeed, rule the world from Jerusalem.

The second Servant Song is found in Isaiah 49:1-13 and concentrates on the Messiah as a savior to the Gentiles, a subject he also dealt with in his first Servant Song.

Here is what Isaiah tells us in the second Song:

1 Listen to me, you islands;

    hear this, you distant nations:

Before I was born the Lord called me;

    from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name.

2 He made my mouth like a sharpened sword,

    in the shadow of his hand he hid me;

he made me into a polished arrow

    and concealed me in his quiver.

3 He said to me, “You are my servant,

    Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”

4 But I said, “I have labored in vain;

    I have spent my strength for nothing at all.

Yet what is due me is in the Lord’s hand,

    and my reward is with my God.”

5 And now the Lord says—

    “he who formed me in the womb to be his servant

to bring Jacob back to him

    and gather Israel to himself,

for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord

    and my God has been my strength—”

6 he says:

“It is too small a thing for you to be my servant

    to restore the tribes of Jacob

    and bring back those of Israel I have kept.

I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,

    that my salvation may reach

    to the ends of the earth.”

7 This is what the Lord says—

    the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel—

to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation,

    to the servant of rulers:

“Kings will see you and stand up,

    princes will see and bow down,

because of the Lord, who is faithful,

    the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.”

8 This is what the Lord says:

“In the time of my favor I will answer you,

    and in the day of salvation I will help you;

I will keep you and will make you

    to be a covenant for the people,

to restore the land

    and to reassign its desolate inheritances,

9 to say to the captives, ‘Come out,’

    and to those in darkness, ‘Be free!’

“They will feed beside the roads

    and find pasture on every barren hill.

10 They will neither hunger nor thirst,

    nor will the desert heat

    or the sun beat down on them.

He who has compassion on them will guide them

    and lead them beside springs of water.

11 I will turn all my mountains into roads,

    and my highways will be raised up.

12 See, they will come from afar—

    some from the north, some from the west,

    some from the region of Aswan.”

13 Shout for joy, you heavens;

    rejoice, you earth;

    burst into song, you mountains!

For the Lord comforts his people

    and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

Exposition

In this second Servant Song, Isaiah begins by telling us:

V. 1: The Messiah will come in human form

               1 Listen to me, you islands;

                    hear this, you distant nations:

          Before I was born the Lord called me;

                    from my mother’s womb

                    he has spoken my name.

It is the Servant—the Messiah—who speaks beginning in v. 1. His reference to “…islands…” and “…you distant nations…” means the entire world and confirms again that the Messiah would be sent not just to Israel, but to the entire world.

It is interesting to me that these two phrases “Listen to me, you islands…” and “…hear this, you distant nations…” express the same thought in twice different words. The last part of the verse also express the same idea twice: “…Before I was born the Lord called me…” and “…from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name.”

Such parallel structures are common in Hebrew poetry and are called “appositions,” and we find it often in the Hebrew scriptures. For example:

Psalm 25:4:

“Make known to me your ways, Lord; teach me your paths…” and

Psalm 91:1:

“Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty…”

The Hebrew writers employed appositions to give emphasis to what they wanted to emphasize. In v. 1 the emphasis is on the fact that it is at Yahweh’s initiative that the servant serves: “…Before I was born the Lord called me…” and “…from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name.” His calling was to be a part of Yahweh’s plan from the beginning of his life.

Isaiah introduces the Messiah as born into the world, and in his prophecy he hints at the full extent of the Messiah’s commission, which is not only to restore the errant Israelites and reconcile them to their Lord, but also to be a Savior to the whole world, which Isaiah refers to as “…islands…” and “…distant nations….” This, of course, meant the Messiah would also call the Gentiles to the knowledge and obedience of the true God, and to bring them to be reconciled to Him along with the Israelites. The Israelites hated the idea that the Messiah would Minister to the Gentiles, whom they regarded as unclean, unsalvageable, and forever condemned.

From v. 1, the prophet tells the Israelites the Messiah would be a human being, born as others are born of a woman (although virgin born, Isaiah 7:14).

V. 2 tells us:

V. 2: He will be an effective teacher

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword,

          in the shadow of his hand he hid me;

he made me into a polished arrow

          and concealed me in his quiver.

Here we find another example of apposition: “He made my mouth like a sharpened sword…” and “he made me into a polished arrow…” V. 2 has nothing to do with actual swords and arrows. These are metaphors pointing to the Messiah’s ability to deliver Yahweh’s word successfully with his mouth “…like a sharpened sword…,” speaking and teaching effectively.

Paul uses a similar metaphor in his letter to the Ephesians, referring to: “…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Ephesians 6:17), as does the author of Hebrews, who writes: “…the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword…” (Hebrews 4:12).

The statements in v. 2 “…in the shadow of his hand he hid me…” and “…(He) concealed me in his quiver…” speak to the timing of the Messiah’s advent; before His advent, He was with God the Father, Who waited for the right moment to send the Savior.

In v. 3, God calls the Messiah “…Israel…”:

V. 3: He will glorify the Father

He said to me, “You are my servant,

    Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”

V. 3 is the only place in the Bible where the Messiah is called by the name “…Israel…” To call the Messiah “…Israel…” may seem curious to us, but it emphasizes both His human origin as a child from among the Israelites and divine origin as the chosen one of Israel. “Israel” here is used as a synonym of “Servant,” to identify the future Messiah with God’s chosen people Israel.

The purpose of Israel was, in part, to demonstrate the existence of the one true God to the world, because, like today, most people in the ancient world were alienated from God. They lived with a host of superstitious religious ideas and created and worshiped idols. Through Israel, God offered the knowledge of His existence, created a covenant relationship between Him and His people, and right from the first covenant God made with Abraham, He made it clear that his purpose for Israel was about offering salvation to the world—He promised Abraham in Genesis 12: “…all peoples on earth will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:3). That would be accomplished with the advent of the Messiah.

His purpose for Israel was to bring the gospel to the world, offering the world the cleansing from sin and a renewed purpose. So in v. 3, this Servant—the Messiah—is going to be the vehicle to fulfill the task given to Israel. Jesus came to us through Israel, and we must remember that promise to Abraham that Israel’s main purpose right from the start was to bless “…all peoples on earth…” Paul shows us how we are to interpret God’s promise to Abraham in his letter to the Galatian church:

7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith” (Galatians 3:7-9).

Isaiah’s prophecy emphasizes that people will see the splendor of the Father through the saving work of the Messiah.

In vv. 4-5, Isaiah tells us the Servant will be rejected:

Vv. 4-5: Sent to save Israel, He will be rejected

               4 But I said, “I have labored in vain;

                    I have spent my strength for nothing at all.

          Yet what is due me is in the Lord’s hand,

                    and my reward is with my God.”

               5 And now the Lord says—

                     he who formed me in the womb to be his servant

          to bring Jacob back to him

                    and gather Israel to himself,

          for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord

                    and my God has been my strength—

Isaiah gives us words he attributes to the future Messiah in v. 4: “I have labored in vain.” In view here is the first advent, when the people of Israel rejected Him, and it appeared, at the time of His death, that He had labored in vain. His own people, to whom He had come to save, had rejected Him and His message.

The emphasis in v. 4 is on the suffering Servant, but we should remember that though the Lord was rejected, and it may have looked for a time that He labored in vain, His confidence is always in God…so He testifies in v. 5, saying: “I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength.” Even the death of the Lord Jesus Christ was a victory; in fact, it is the greatest victory the world has seen up to the present time.

At His first advent, Israel rejected Him. But He did something far more wonderful: He offered salvation for the world, having done the work of the Father. In His second advent, He will accomplish the purpose outlined for Him in v. 5, which is: “…to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself…”

V. 6 emphasizes that the Servant will be Savior of the whole world: “…a light for the Gentiles…”:

V. 6: He will save all mankind

          …he says:

                    “It is too small a thing for you to be my

servant to restore the tribes of Jacob

                    and bring back those of Israel I have kept.

          I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,

                    that my salvation may reach

                    to the ends of the earth.”

The Israelites did not want a Messiah who would offer redemption the Gentiles along with themselves, because of their low regard for them.

The Israelites did not think of a Messiah who would impact the world beyond granting freedom to the Jewish nation. They expected a prophet, perhaps with supernatural powers, who would lead them to political and military victory to end the domination of foreign powers over them.

While the Messiah’s chief purpose was Savior for Israel, God’s word about the Messiah given through Isaiah was: “I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.” Though they never tried to accomplish it, as we know from the word given to Abraham, Israel’s mission was always to bring the knowledge of the true God to the world around them. But instead, the Israelites developed a hatred and spitefulness toward all Gentiles.

The Messiah, however, in His first advent, became the “…light for the Gentiles…,” offering salvation to Jews and Gentiles alike. In Isaiah’s Servant Songs, we find he repeats the two themes in v. 6—that he will “…restore the tribes of Jacob…” to their God and be “…a light for the Gentiles…”

V. 7: Those who despised Him will worship Him

               7 This is what the Lord says—

                    the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel—

          to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation,

                    to the servant of rulers:

          “Kings will see you and stand up,

                    princes will see and bow down,

          because of the Lord, who is faithful,

                    the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.”

V. 7 addresses the fact that the Messiah was to be despised and suffer humiliating treatment in His first advent…but in the latter part of the verse, Isaiah tells us there will come a time when kings and princes shall recognize Him as Messiah and worship Him. This will occur when He returns to gather His people and ultimately rule the world.

But the prophet did not know of two advents. In v. 7 we see both of Christ’s advents, the first when He “…was despised and abhorred…” (His first advent) and the second when kings and princes will “…bow down…” to Him (His second advent). Isaiah addresses this again in his fourth Servant Song in chapter 52, writing: “…kings will shut their mouths because of him. For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand. (52:15).

Vv. 8-13:

Vv. 8-13: A covenant to all people

               8 This is what the Lord says:

                    “In the time of my favor I will answer you,

          and in the day of salvation I will help you;

                    I will keep you and will make you

          to be a covenant for the people,

                    to restore the land

          and to reassign its desolate inheritances,

In v. 8, “In the time of my favor…” and “…in the day of salvation…” are parallel phrases that indicate that Yahweh grants His saving grace according to His plan. The Lord continues in v. 8: “…I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances…”

A covenant is an agreement between two parties, outlining what is expected of both sides. Covenants between equals are typically agreements where each party agrees to give something in exchange for something else—usually something equal in value to what they expect to receive.

However, covenants between God and humans are not covenants between equals, but are covenants between a superior (God) and an inferior (humans).

God initiates covenants between Himself and His people and dictates their terms. In every case those terms are favorable to the His people. For example, God established a covenant with Abram in which he required Abram to leave his home and family to go to a land that God would show him. In return, God promised“

I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great,and you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:2-3). 

This was the foundational covenant for the Hebrew nation and the first indication of His promise to bless all peoples.

Vv. 8-13 comprise both a metaphor of God extending His grace to all people these verses deal with prophecies of real events to come for the Israelites.

Looking first at v. 8, we find the servant is “…to be a covenant for the people…” Given that Yahweh always specifies covenant terms favorable to the humans, this conveys the sense that Yahweh will bless the people through the work of the servant. Initially, the promise is to the Israelites in Babylonian captivity, which is to take place about a century after Isaiah’s prophecy, in 605 and 596 B.C. Isaiah, prophesies in v. 8 that God will “…restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances…” and in vv. 9-10 provide for them on the journey preparing for their return to their homeland from Babylonian captivity, beginning in 530 B.C., about two centuries after Isaiah.

 9 to say to the captives, ‘Come out,’

    and to those in darkness, ‘Be free!’

“They will feed beside the roads

    and find pasture on every barren hill.

10 They will neither hunger nor thirst,

    nor will the desert heat or the sun

    beat down on them.

He who has compassion on them will guide them

    and lead them beside springs of water

The beginning of v. 9 sets the tone for these final four verses of this second Servant Song with the promise:

“…to say to the captives, ‘Come out,’ and to those in darkness, ‘Be free!’” and in v. 10: “He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water.”

These phrases have a double meaning. God today calls human beings out of the darkness of sin into the light of righteousness. So God’s guidance and care on a journey of the Jewish exiles that is both geographical for the Israelites…and also long-term  spiritual. When God says: … to those in darkness, ‘Be free!...” it is as applicable today as it was 3,000 years ago when it was first given In Isaiah’s prophecy. For the Jewish exiles, they will return to their homeland, and for people everywhere, the Servant—the Messiah—offers the way for all people to return to their Creator and be saved.

The image of God turning mountains into roads and removing all obstructions in v. 11 is a reference to His assisting in the Jews’ return from Babylon to the promised land. It may also be taken as the easy path for all people to receive God’s offer of His grace.

11 I will turn all my mountains into roads,

    and my highways will be raised up.

12 See, they will come from afar—

    some from the north, some from the west,

    some from the region of Aswan.”

13 Shout for joy, you heavens;

    rejoice, you earth;

    burst into song, you mountains!

For the Lord comforts his people

    and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.”

One note about v. 12. I am not sure where the NIV translators came up with “…they will come from afar—…some from the region of Aswan.” In Hebrew, the verse reads “…from the land of the Sinites…,” referring to Sinim, the Hebrew term for the far east. His point in v. 12 simply relates to God’s offer of grace to all mankind.

Finally, in v. 13 we find the idea of joy available to all mankind. God will have mercy because of His compassion, His promise, and His grace, resulting in a reason to “…shout for joy…” and “…rejoice…” The idea in this verse is, that the heavens and the earth would have cause to exult together . It is common in Isaiah thus to interpose a song of praise in his prophecies.

Conclusion

I am not sure how Isaiah’s contemporaries reacted to his prophecies…first, predicting the Jews’ exile from and return to their land, and, second, his prophecy of God’s offer of grace to the Gentiles, who were to the Jews, filthy, unworthy, and permanently rejected by God.

Many of Isaiah’s contemporaries probably at best were puzzled and at worst angry with him. They expected an exclusive Messiah for themselves, to rescue them from the oppressive nations around them and to establish His rule, through the nation of Israel, over all the world.

They thought of themselves as the only people worthy of God’s grace and found it impossible to accept the idea of a Messiah who would offer salvation to everyone.

At Jesus’ first advent, 700 years after Isaiah prophesied about Him, that was still the attitude of the people of Israel. In their eyes, He failed first because He did not eject the Roman occupiers and, second, because pointed out their own hypocrisy.

His first advent proved the accuracy of Isaiah’s prophecies. God sent His Son, the Messiah, to the people of Israel and ultimately to us, with the invitation to turn to Him, accept His offer of salvation and an eternal future with Him.

We should all remember…God did not choose the people of Israel because of their greatness. They were weak and powerless in a world that was dominated by other nations of people alienated from God.

Nevertheless, God chose Israel to make salvation and communion with God available to the world. God intended to save all through Israel…and through the people of Israel, that offer of reconciliation and relationship with God came us all with the arrival of Jesus, the Messiah.

 

Comments

Popular Posts