The Obedient Servant: Isaiah 50:4-9

The Prophet Isaiah
Painting by Michelangelo
 (1475-1564)

Introduction

We find the third of what are called Isaiah’s “Servant Songs” in Isaiah 50:4-11.

You may recall that the Servant Songs are Hebrew poems or songs in which Isaiah predicted for the Israelites some details of the character of the coming Messiah…prophecies fully 700 years before the Messiah’s first advent.

Isaiah’s four “Servant Songs,” found in chapters 42 through 53, are prophetic and give details about the character and purpose of the Messiah.

These prophecies have in view both the Messiah’s first advent to suffer and die as that perfect atonement and the Messiah’s second advent and future kingdom on earth. Isaiah, of course, did not know about two advents, and therefore some of his prophecies contain elements of both.

The first Servant Song is in Isaiah 42, where he identifies the Messiah as “My Servant,” who would demonstrate a quiet and patient demeanor, would bring truth, justice, and comfort to the weak and oppressed, would be a light to the Gentiles, and would open mankind’s eyes to the reality and grace of God.

He introduced the Messiah as the first song opens:

“Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.”

That first Servant Song ended with the assurance that the Messiah was sure to come, because God had promised, and He always had kept His promises.

The second servant song is found in Isaiah 49. In it, he prophesies that the Messiah will come in human form, He will be an effective teacher, He will glorify the Father, was sent to save Israel, He will be rejected, and He will save all mankind.

This second Servant Song intermingles the promises of the Messiah to both the people of Israel in the relatively near term, their exile and return in the two centuries immediately following Isaiah, and to the Messiah’s message of salvation to the Gentiles in his first advent, seven centuries after these prophecies.

Throughout his prophecies, Isaiah emphasizes the role of the Messiah as the Savior, not just for Israel, but for all people as well…an idea that the Israelites rejected.

This evening, we focus on the third of the four Servant Songs, which concentrates on the obedience of the Messiah to the will of the Father and contrasts Israel’s sin and disobedience with the Servant’s obedience. The Servant would be everything Israel was not: He would perfectly obey God the Father.

We also see that the Messiah will be persecuted yet vindicated. The verses preceding this song, vv. 1-3, compare Israel to an immoral wife, and only God has the power to ransom her. Then, starting in verse 4, the Servant responds to the instruction of God. He is not rebellious (v. 5), even when His obedience to God results in suffering. Isaiah expresses the Servant’s confidence in God’s help and that He will be found innocent (vv. 7-9). The Servant resolves to see His task to completion, no matter how difficult.

In the prophecies of this song, we find that the Servant’s perfect obedience will lead to His rejection (v. 5). Notice the escalation from the second song, which tells us the Servant would be deeply despised (49:7). Now, in this third Servant Song, it is prophesied that the Servant will suffer physically at the hands of His captors (Isa. 50:6): 

…I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard…”

Seven centuries later, this prophecy was fulfilled. Abuse and insults were heaped on Him. He was turned over to the Roman soldiers. His back was beaten, His face was hit, and He was spit upon (see John 19:1-3; Matthew 27:30). Jesus was obedient unto death (Philippians 2:8), and the Father vindicated His Suffering Servant by resurrecting Him.

Let’s look at the text of the third Servant Song:

4 The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,

    to know the word that sustains the weary.

He wakens me morning by morning,

    wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.

5 The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;

    I have not been rebellious,

    I have not turned away.

6 I offered my back to those who beat me,

    my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;

I did not hide my face

    from mocking and spitting.

7 Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,

    I will not be disgraced.

Therefore have I set my face like flint,

    and I know I will not be put to shame.

8 He who vindicates me is near.

    Who then will bring charges against me?

    Let us face each other!

Who is my accuser?

    Let him confront me!

9 It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.

    Who will condemn me?

They will all wear out like a garment;

    the moths will eat them up.

 

The Exposition

In v. 4, we see:

The Servant Will Be Obedient in Speaking and Teaching

4 The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,

    to know the word that sustains the weary.

He wakens me morning by morning,

     wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.

V. 4 is the voice of the Servant. We find the phrase, “Adonai Yahweh,” “the Lord Yahweh,” four times in this song, vv. 4, 5, 7, 9. In each instance, the Lord God enables the Servant: ”

…has given me a well-instructed tongue…” (v. 4), “has opened my ears…” (v. 5), “…helps me…” (vv. 7 and 9), Not only does “the Lord Yahweh” empower the Servant, but these references authenticate the Servant’s work.

The Lord God has given the Servant the tongue of a teacher (literally “a learned person”). There is and will be an ongoing communication between God and the Servant—with God conveying wisdom and the Servant listening  — in order to absorb every word and thought of God the Father, the Lord Yahweh. Otherwise, the Servant would have nothing to teach His weary people. Because He listens, however, the Servant has power from the Lord Yahweh to help and care for the weary.

That is no mean feat, because the Jewish people have long suffered over many generations—through enslavement, exile, and domination by cruel foreign powers—and they are described as a weary people. The Lord Yahweh will commission the Servant to teach them and encourage them—to bring them hope. That would be impossible except that God makes it possible.

The Servant is given “…the word that sustains the weary…” (v. 4), and we know that God’s word is powerful and true, whether spoken by God directly, as He did in the creation in Genesis 1, to Moses on the mountain in Exodus 19, by one of the prophets, or by the New Testament authors. In fact, the New Testament describes Jesus, the Servant, with these words in John 1: “…Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us…” (John 1:14). God still works today through our scriptures and the preaching of the word, our reading and teaching the word, and in our personal evangelism sharing the word with the unsaved.

Moreover, in v. 4 the Servant tells us the Lord Yahweh “…wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.” God speaks to the Servant constantly. The sense that we get here is that the Lord gives the Servant encouragement and instruction each morning. So the Servant does the will of the Father continually.

To me, this is also a picture of our discipleship, which, with constant practice, gets easier each day we are devoted to faithfulness. When we devote ourselves to the word and to prayer today, we find it a little easier and easier to listen and obey Him tomorrow. We will see what that means in the Servant’s life when we get to verses 6-9. Those verses show the strength that the Servant developed through daily discipleship.

In vv. 5, we read that:

The Servant Will Be Obedient to the Father’s Will

5 The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;

    I have not been rebellious,

  I have not turned away.

In v. 4, the Servant tells us the Lord Yahweh “…wakens my ear…”; and now , in v. 5, He repeats that slightly differently, telling us “The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears…” and that He responds positively, saying: “… I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away.” The Servant is prophesied to respond positively to the will of the Father…but in truth, it must be tempting for the Servant to rebel, knowing what would happen to Him. He proved willing to do the Father’s will and did not “…turn away.”. We remember that some of the prophets were less faithful. Jonah ran away. Jeremiah complained. When the Lord called, there may have been times in our lives when we wanted to resist…to go in another direction.

In v.6, we learn:

The Servant Will Be Obedient in Suffering

Instead of turning away from the Father’s will, the Servant tells us:

6 I offered my back to those who beat me,

    my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;

I did not hide my face

   from mocking and spitting.


I offered my back to those who beat me…” sounds like scourging—a terrible beating with whips or rods that sometimes kills the one who is beaten. “…my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard…” describes another form of physical punishment, one intended to inflict physical pain, disfigurement, and humiliation. In that culture, the beard was an important part of a man’s identity. A man would shave his beard only to express mourning. For someone to shave a man or to pluck his beard was to humiliate—to show great contempt.

He ends v. 6 with: “I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.” While insults and being spat upon might seem mild compared with scourging and having one’s beard plucked out, this sort of humiliation was very degrading in the culture. Unlike our current culture, which is long on tolerance and short on shame, the people of that time and place took shame seriously. But even today, we tend not to take insults lightly and would recoil at being spat upon.

So let’s pause for just a moment and consider the question…Just who was Jesus?

On one occasion, when He was teaching in the temple courts, a group of Pharisees challenged His authority, demanding to know who He was.

His answer, found in John 8:28-29, bears on this point:

“…I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. 29 The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.”

We may wonder who would take offense at the Servant’s ministry in the Jewish culture? Who would cheer His beating and death? The answer, simply, is that in the Jewish culture at the time of this prophecy and seven centuries later when Jesus appeared, there was a strong and mistaken sense of what to expect in the Messiah.

The people did not believe Jesus was the Messiah. The leaders of the community—the priests, scribes, Pharisees, and Sadducees—led the Jews to believe that the chief act of the Messiah would be to throw out the Roman rulers, but certainly not a Messiah like Jesus.

His message was not what the people wanted to hear.

In John 6, Jesus tells His followers that those who trust in Him will need to show the same sacrifice and commitment as He would experience…but many of them responded, “This is a hard saying; who can accept it?” (John 6:60). Jesus replies, “…there are some of you who do not believe,” (6:64). Then John tells us, “From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him” (6:66).

We know that His message ultimately led to His death. He knew this would happen, but never held back on His teaching. Many times, in fact, we see Him confronting the scribes and Pharisees in the temple, with crowds around them listening.

He was blunt and honest with the people in urging them to trust in Him completely, not to expel the Romans, but to trust Him for eternal life with the Father.

Matthew reports that He laid it out bluntly for them, quoting Jesus in chapter 10:

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it” (Matthew 10:37-39).

And to a people who envied those among them with wealth and power, He says, “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5).

In addition, the Jews were steeped in the tradition that righteousness meant following the letter of the law and the hundreds of additions to the law their rabbis added. But Jesus taught that righteousness consisted not of following the letter of the law, but a matter of an internal spiritual commitment.

He said:

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment…” and

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:21-22; 27-28).

It’s not just His words of commitment that must affect us, but also His words and ministry to those who are weary and burdened; burdened, sad, hurting inside, and discouraged. He is ministering to us right now.

Back to the Servant Song…

In. vv. 7-9, we learn:

The Messiah Will Be Obedient in Accomplishing His Purpose

7 Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,

    I will not be disgraced.

Therefore have I set my face like flint,

    and I know I will not be put to shame.

The Messiah says, in verse 7, “…I have set my face like flint.” Flint is a hard, dense rock. The simile here is that the Messiah would not be swayed from His purpose. In the gospels, we find this to be true of Jesus, who was not swayed from His purpose by hardship, opposition, or betrayal. Jesus did not have just a strong sense of purpose, but a perfect sense of purpose. In v. 7, He alludes to God’s help….Knowing that God the Father leads Him, He feels neither disgrace nor shame. So He can say Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame. He has a solid confidence that God will vindicate him in the long run, so he is able to endure suffering in the short run. We find in the gospel accounts that though people sought to mock and shame Jesus, He persevered, because, as He tells us in v. 8: “…He who vindicates me is near…”: and thus He can say: “Who then will bring charges against me? Let us face each other! Who is my accuser? Let him confront me!”

In v. 8, the Servant challenges all comers, as if He is in a courtroom battle:

8 He who vindicates me is near.

    Who then will bring charges against me?

    Let us face each other!

Who is my accuser?

   Let him confront me!


He has God the Father as his defense counsel, so He has nothing to fear. He boldly dares his opponents to confront Him, and it is clear here that his earlier failure to resist violence in v. 6 reflected the principle of strength, rather than a helpless surrender to the crowd’s violence.

So He can say in v. 9:

9 It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.

    Who will condemn me?

They will all wear out like a garment;

   the moths will eat them up.

The Servant does not fear his own fate. He is confident that His enemies will find themselves worn out and eaten up.

The Servant is a model for us in demonstrating confidence in God the Father…in His case, confidence of vindication…and in our case, confidence in our Savior’s promises of love and care and an eternal existence in His presence. Despite our weaknesses, we can stand boldly without shame and disgrace as we trust in Him in the present and for our future, just as God delivered His people in the past.

Conclusion

I don’t want for us to study the prophecies just to gain knowledge. We want to know them so that we can be more like our Savior and Lord, so we can understand Him and know and do His will. Jesus prayed for us in John 17:18: “As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.”

So the question my question for us all this evening is…What do we know about His will for us from this third servant song?

First, we must be like Him in speaking and teaching: share the gospel message, encourage and admonish each other, use our communication to build the kingdom, not criticize, gossip, and judge others.

Second, we need to listen to what God has to tell us, through the Bible, through our interactions with each other, and through the inner voice of God. We must not turn away from His voice, and not just to request Him to act, but pray for a better understanding of His will for us.

Third is suffering, learning to deal with life’s circumstances righteously and to do God’s will regardless of the consequences to our pride.

Finally, we need to commit to being steadfast in purpose: doing God’s will and pursuing righteousness regardless of hardship, opposition, embarrassment, or even betrayal.

Comments

Popular Posts